Thursday, April 2, 2020

How did my production skills developed?

     This process truly did not go as I planed it to go and it was far more different than I expected. This is something that all directors, cinematographers, and anyone involved in the film process may have to face. During the production process there tends to be obstacles and bumps in the road that have to be taken care of and solved. Truthfully, at times I felt doubtful that this project was going to go well or even come close to being completed. I lost my motivation and thought everything was ruined. The coronavirus took away my plans of executing this piece the way I wanted it to, but I knew I had to learn how to adapt to the unanticipated situation.
     When it comes to creating an original piece of media I never expected it to be easy, and because this is something new to me, I didn't expect to be perfect either. When I first learned about this project I knew that I would need to develop skills to help me execute the film opening properly. I didn't want something I could control to stop me from doing the best that I could. From week 1 to now I feel that I have learned so many skills that has helped me continue.
     One thing I had to learn was to manage my time better and stay organized. I'm not the worst at time management, but during this process I knew it was really important for me to plan accordingly in order to be able to finish on time. When I started I really wanted to figure out how to produce a simple opening that didn't bore the audience. I had no idea how I can make it interesting and I thought maybe dialogue would help add texture to the film. Now I have learned that diegetic and non-diegetic sound elements are far more important than I thought, and dialogue isn't the only solution. I decided that a way for me to make my piece realistic and interesting is through mis-en-scene elements and costume design. Although the setting changed, I was able to create props and use colors to show personality in order to express the main character based on how her room looked and her style.
     From when I first began this process I didn't think outside the box, I didn't think about what different elements of composition and camera angles would help make the piece flow smoothly. I was so focused on the idea rather than how to execute the idea like a filmmaker would. I didn't have nearly as much resources or help behind the camera as I thought I would but I had to be more independent and self reliant. This skill was something that helped me in everyday life. When challenges come my way I know that I can handle them and still make things work out even if it wasn't what I planned. As far as casting goes, my sister played the main role and I had to guide her and make sure the acting was as realistic as possible. I had to motivate her to stay patient with me when we had to reshoot the scene until we got a good enough clip. During the research, planning, and execution of the film opening process I learned a lot of skills that helped me make this a success.

No comments:

Post a Comment